Re: Cache Digest rejection %

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:07:34 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Niall Doherty wrote:

> Hmm... do you keep false hit counters ? It'd be cool if we could see,
> in the sibling statistics how many HTTP requests were HITs or MISSes
> for each sibling. I know it doesn't make much "sense" logically, but
> we (users :-) will know that such-and-such a cache is only supposed
> to be a "sibling" (as opposed to a child) so we could get a feel for
> what % of requests are False Hits - any MISSes for a sibling would
> have to be a HTTP request for an object that it thought was there...

It does make a lot of sense to count false hits and misses. We did count
false guesses before; using CacheDigests+ICP tandem. However, it is pretty
hard to count false guesses correctly using Cache Digests alone so I think
the current code does not count false guesses at all. Future feature...

Alex.