RE: ETag Validiation?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 00:45:57 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Nottingham, Mark (Australia) wrote:

> As far as I can tell, an ETag request header is invalid; 14.9 states only
> that it is a response header.

ETag is an entity header. As such, it can be used in a request.

> AFAIK, you won't see much If-None-Match traffic at all; no clients seem to
> support Etags (I may be wrong).

Too bad if so -- less incentive for us to add ETag support.

> However, the specification doesn't preclude
> (and actually encourages, in my understanding) caches using ETags as
> validators when they're available.

True.

> As TODO notes, it will mean storing more metainformation.

That remains to be seen. Clearly some ETag applications will require more
metadata, but maybe not all. We can make such suport #conditional and/or
optimize it somehow...

Alex.