Re: Transparent proxy/cache over AIX

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:28:05 +0200

Alexandre Almeida Wanderley wrote:
> Were're planning to use squid to run as a transparent proxy/cache
> over AIX 4.1.3. Did anybody had this experience?

Not me.

> Could anybody give me some advice about it...?

For Squid it does not matter much if you run a transparent proxy or not.
What you need to check is that IP-Filter is properly supported on that
platform, as it is a requirement to run Squid as a transparent proxy
(it's IP-Filter that does the transparency part of it).

I have seen some reports that people had problem building squid on AIX.
If I am not mistaken the "fix" was to use cc (in ANSI-C mode) and not
gcc on this platform.

I guess this is true (use cc and not gcc) on close to all platforms if
you try to enable async-io. gcc does not know much about how to build
threaded programs on various platforms.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker