Re: [squid-users] Anyone considered this potential feature?

From: Chris Tilbury <Chris.Tilbury@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:35:57 +0100

On Fri, Oct 23, 1998 at 04:24:42PM -0100, Michael Sparks wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Chris Tilbury wrote:
> > > First ensure Squid2 is running on all the machines, then for each request:
> > >
> > > X = result of Squid URL hash for it's digest.
> > > Y = X mapped over N machines, selecting 1. (ala hash value mod N)
> > > IF Y=0 then go direct
> > > ELSE get page from sibling Y (unless sibling fails, then go direct)
> >
> > Sounds like a peer version of CARP to me. Is that the general idea?
>
> I've seen the CARP compliation option, and seen carp.c, but no
> documentation on it... The name sounds promising however...

It's Cache Array Routing Protocol. See

        http://www.eu.microsoft.com/proxy/guide/CarpWP.asp

Not sure how much other documentation there is about. Others will point it
out, though, I'm sure :-)

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Tilbury, UNIX Systems Administrator, IT Services, University of Warwick
EMAIL: cudch+s@csv.warwick.ac.uk PHONE: +44 1203 523365(V)/+44 1203 523267(F)