Re: Multi Proc. Systems

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:27:38 +0100

>I was just wondering if Squid would benifit having a multi proccessor
>server?

I can talk only about Squid on Solaris. As Squid is still more or less
monolithic
except for aio and the helper processes (dnsservers foremost), I never found
the need for more than two CPUs. A third was almost always idle, even when
"blasted" (a simulation of clients and servers via the squid being blasted)
in
laboratory environment, and even when fiddling with autoup.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726