Re: Squid 1.120

From: Mario Camou <mcamou@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 17:20:42 -0600

Peter,

For the mail server, the TIS firewall toolkit (http://www.tis.com/) has a program
("smap") that forwards your mail from the outside to inside the firewall, I am
using it successfully. I gather your firewall is UNIX?

For the web server, I assume it's your external webserver (which publishes docs to
the Internet). Bad idea to have it behind your only firewall, if a hacker gets into
it he/she might do ugly things to your network. The usual way to handle that is
using a DeMilitarized Zone ("DMZ"):

Internet

Firewall -- DMZ

Intranet

OR (even better):

Internet

External Firewall

   DMZ

Internal Firewall

Intranet

In the DMZ you put your externally-accessible webservers, and the Internal Firewall
protects your network vs. anyone who might get into your external webserver.

Hope this helps,
-Mario.