Re: Cache size confusion

From: John Dilley <jad@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 06:47:58 -0800

> > > Upon looking at cachemgr result I get
> > >
> > > 5.http://www.infoseek.com/
> > > Verified 1m ago, Used 1m ago, Modified 1m ago, Expires in 13h,
> > > 24955 bytes, 1 accesses, 0 active clients,
> > > STORE_OK, IN_MEMORY, SWAP_OK, PING_NONE,
> > > 0 Locks, Flags: EC,KU,HT,ED,HI
> > > 6.http://www.infoseek.com/images/tmpl/swoop.gif
> > > Verified 1m ago, Used 1m ago, Modified 1M ago, Expires NEVER,
> > > 196 bytes, 1 accesses, 0 active clients,
> > > STORE_OK, IN_MEMORY, SWAP_OK, PING_NONE,
> > > 0 Locks, Flags: EC,KU,HT,ED,HI
> > >
> > > Why the expiry is NEVER when I have min time 4 days and max 1 month in
> > > refresh pattern.
> > >

> > Irfan,
> > The Expires field is from the content HTTP headers, not from
> > your cache settings. Same with Modified. Regards,
>
> But how is it possible that all the objects have expiry as NEVER when
> looking at the Objects in cache.

Irfan,
        In the example above one of your objects never expires, the
other in 13 hours. It would be possible for all of your objects to
expire NEVER, however, if all depends upon the content your users
accessed and their Expires headers. Expires of never is used whenever
the expires time (in the source) is negative. Regards,

                             -- jad --
                          John Dilley <jad@hpl.hp.com>