Re: Integrating FTP-Mirrors

From: George Michaelson <ggm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 08:59:15 +1000

I am one of three admin of mirror.aarnet.edu.au and as such, I do the
squirm redirection config for our site.

We're only about to enter test-phase, but have around 150 packages which
we are willing to generate squirm/jesred patterns for, to let squid owners
adopt locally.

Obviously because of our physical location and funding model we're aiming
this at AARNet/AU located users but the *principle* is quite good:

        don't try to pre-guess what the mirror has. get the mirror to
        tell you what it can redirect sanely.

One critical issue is that mirrors don't always implement .cgi and so the
redirect rules need to encompass a few exceptions as well as the base URL.

I think you'll find TF-CHIC or TF-CACHE or one of the related projects in
Europe is like-minded in terms of coordinating this kind of thing.

Another part of this is being able to demonstrate byte/time savings as
well as more directly cost. Our figures suggest that we can help to keep
the modem-side stuffed full, at maximum window and minimum drop. Loosing
around 1/2 of the average RTT, hopcount and much of the drop can't
be bad for delivery of better download service.

cheers
        -George

--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm@dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072