Re: Integrating FTP-Mirrors

From: George Michaelson <ggm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 11:31:07 +1000

  It is VERY admin heavy.. unless an automated "map" could be put together,
  it is not really viable.

Its hard to really automate this. We want to try and get up a plan to do that
inside the AARN Mirror "II" project which is sort of.. in planning. Because
of the variances of how people find things, I suspect there is an 80:20 rule
about what you can snarf and what you let trickle through.

  I believe that dstc are putting togther database of who mirrors what in
  australia, perhaps that would be a good technique/seed.

Yes, we're doing that but its about the consumer side of mirrors ie who mirrors
what, less than about a framework for a specific mirror to pump out jesred
configs. Thats more what we'd need to aim for.

Meantime, its manual tweaks. Bummer.

Good to see you can get that kind of bytesavings. It suggests we can do the
same on suitable scalings (we did 60Gb yesterday and the day before, serving
Redhad 5.2 in .AU and beyond (insanely, around 20Gb of that was back offshore)
and 3Dfiles just dumped another large object/update which added to the pile)

60Gb/day from a mirror is really quite .. scary.

Something else which Mirrors should work well on is the URN: stuff. We need
more frontend apache config to drive this, and get it off the ground. Squidside
looks fine, but the backend indexing..

-George

--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm@dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072