Re: "Uncacheable" documents getting cached...

From: Niall Doherty <ndoherty@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:29:53 +0000

Hi,

> Does the http spec say that clocks should be right?

From RFC 2068:

---
RFC 2068                        HTTP/1.1                    January 1997
13.2.3 Age Calculations

   In order to know if a cached entry is fresh, a cache needs to know if
   its age exceeds its freshness lifetime. We discuss how to calculate
   the latter in section 13.2.4; this section describes how to calculate
   the age of a response or cache entry.

   In this discussion, we use the term "now" to mean "the current value
   of the clock at the host performing the calculation." Hosts that use
   HTTP, but especially hosts running origin servers and caches, should
   use NTP [28] or some similar protocol to synchronize their clocks to
   a globally accurate time standard.  What do caches in
---
Niall
--
Niall Doherty          | mailto:ndoherty@eei.ericsson.se