Re: DELAY_POOLS: How to setup

From: Martin Bene <mb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:36:54 +0100

At 10:01 13.11.98 +0800, you wrote:
>> Observed reaction: the big download keeps running at 6k/sec and no other
>> requests get serviced at all until the big one finishes.
>
>The other requests are not serviced at all, or serviced extremely slowly?
>The second is what already happens over a modem, and I would have expected
what
>squid would do. There is no priority given to earlier connections or
anything
>like that.

They're not serviced at all as far as I can tell; here's an excerpt from
fieldescriptors:

15 Socket 1435 320 1577829 193.228.80.43.2051
http://www.sime.com/bigfile.dat
16 Socket 14 1577778 814 193.228.80.9.80
http://www.sime.com/bigfile.dat
17 Socket 1435 324 0 193.228.80.43.2052
http://www.sime.com/littlefile.htm
18 Socket 14 247 822 193.228.80.9.80
http://www.sime.com/littlefile.htm
19 Socket 1440 120 0 193.228.80.13.2793
cache_object://tropica.sime.com/filedescriptors

This is about 4 minutes after starting both requests; both individual max
and restore at 6000.

I'd guess that after incrementing the pool size the delayed connections are
always handled in the same sequence so all the available bandwidth goes to
the first connection and there never is any bandwidth left for the new
connection(s).

>ICP is not delayed, only TCP connections. Already cached objects aren't
>delayed either.

Which poses a bit of a problem: Take an ISP with a customer connected by,
say, ADSL at 7Mbit/sec. Customer has it's own network, firewall & squid
proxy configured with ISP proxy as parent; customer proxy is naturally set
up to never do direct fetches (would be blocked at our router anyway) but
fetch everything through our cache.

Now it would be nice to have a delay pool for said leased line customer so
he can't soak up all available bandwidth while still having highspeed
access to our cache & local servers. Any ideas?

Bye, Martin
 Martin Bene vox: +43-664-3251047
 simon media fax: +43-316-813824-6
 Andreas-Hofer-Platz 9 e-mail: mb@sime.com