Re: Rolling Logs

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:48:35 +0100

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Brenden Phillips wrote:

]I am using SQUID2.0.2 on a RedHat 5.1 system with Linux 2.0.35
]kernel. I am trying to get squid to roll the log files, to no avail.
]
]kill -USR1 ... and squid -k rotate both put messages into syslog
]saying that the files are being rotated, but that don't get rotated !!

This has probably to do with your threads library. Linux threads used to
use SIGUSR[12] for some signalling internal to the thread library (waking
on mutex etc.) - I don't know if 'modern' versions still do that. Thus you
don't have those signals for any other use, including squid. This should
be in the FAQ, but I cannot seem to find it there... If you are *very*
adventerous (or desparate), you can try to substitute SIGQUIT for SIGUSR1
in the squid sources.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726