Re: What is the MAXIMUM number of ACLs we can define

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:33:28 -0700

Richard Lim writes:

>Hi, richard here,
>
>We are using squid 2.0 on a PII dual 400Mhz, SMP enabled Linux server, 192Mb R
AM, 10.2Gig disks.

>I am having some trouble setting up large acl lists (> 9000 url_regex entries)
, is there some maximum limit, i noticed a comment in the acl.c file saying som
ething that 7912 first time round should be enough..

>We are using this as a BAN-filter, to prevent enduser access to unwanted sites
.

>It was noted that the looked algorithm is linear, can this be improved?
>
>many thanks,

There is no limit. 7912 refers to hash buckets, but its not used
for ACLs.

For regular expressions the searching is linear.

Better-than-linear searching of regular expressions seems to be a
very hard problem.

Duane W.