RE: External Auth

From: Nottingham, Mark (Australia) <mark_nottingham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:59:30 +1100

Hmm.. wouldn't it make more sense to have the sort of facility George is
talking about in the redirector code, rather than the auth? In other words,
send the proxy auth info to the redirector instead of sending the URL to the
auth program.

Redirectors are build for this (or should be) more than auth engines, IMHO;
they're (usually) regex-based, and it would be conceptually easy to extend a
user-group mechanism for access permissions to resources; indeed, most
already have IP-based rule groups.

Doing this through the auth program would lose any gain squid could make by
caching authentication tokens internally (don't know that it actually does
this).

I know this doens't address the original request... It seems there might be
some other ways to achieve the same effect (such as rearchitecting your
deployment of caches to internal/external servers, running auth on external
and keeping notification of unauthorised access within the squid code). I'll
stop rambling now.