File Discriptors under Linux & squid 2.0p2 using many descriptors

From: Mohammed Hamed <mhamed@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:17:06 +0200

Well..I guess many of users on this mailing list has managed to solve this problem somehow, It's the usual file descriptors problem.
We used to work fine with 1024 file descriptors per process. After upgrading to squid 2.0 Patch2 we noticed that file descriptors use has grown larger than it used to be with squid 1.1.21 under similar load conditions. This is not yet confirmed but I wonder if anyone has experienced this problem or if it is confirmed.

Deciding that the current 1024 FD's are not enough we decided to increase them to 2048 per process. We applied the linux patch and recompiled the kernel all with fine results.
The problem is that squid didn't recognize the change even after recompiling and it still uses 1024 FD's
Tracing in the code we found (though not sure) that it uses the minimum of DEFAULT_FDSETSIZE which is defined to be 1024, and SQUID_MAXFD which is 4096 after the kernel upgrade
it seems that the patch didn't change FD_SETSIZE, but i wonder why!
So, how can I make squid recognize the change ? should i edit FD_SETSIZE manually and recompile the kernel ? please point me out

Regards,
--Mohammed Hamed