Speeding up my new transparent proxy

From: Eyal Moshe <eyal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:02:55 +0200

Hi All..

I'm a new squid user and I've installed Squid2 (patch2) on FreeBSD
release 3 and configured it as a transparent proxy for our users. The
computer is P-200 with 256MB ram and two UW HDs (9.1 + 4.3). We have
about 100-120 concurrent modem users.

The idea in installing this proxy was to speed up the surfing speed for
our users but it seems that the proxy doesn't speed up things much, or
even at all.
I've used the script calamaris to process the log files and I don't know
if it tells correct information or not, but it says there that the kb/s
for the HIT requests is about 0.2-0.4kb/s ...

I haven't edited the squid.conf file almost at all, except the things I
had to configure such as port, HD sizes, and cache_mem (which is set to
75 MB).
If anyone of you want, I can email the configuration file.
The computer doesn't swap at all and the memory status, as shown in the
utility 'top', is:

Mem: 110M Active, 5784K Inact, 22M Wired, 111M Cache, 8339K Buf, 784K
Free
Swap: 521M Total, 521M Free

If there is anything I can do to force squid to cache more things it can
be great because there are some sites that doesn't change a lot (once in
a few days) and in the evenings users can hardly access them (it takes
more than 1.5 minutes to get the whole site which is very light). This
specific site also uses cgi scripts to send ads to the users, by the
way.

If you need any other info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Eyal Moshe,
InfoMall Ltd.