Re: Whitespaces

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:19:49 +0100

At 04:23 PM 11/19/98 +0200, Jani Kaarlela wrote:

>I get a lot of this kind of lines to cache.log:
>
>urlParse: URI has whitespace:
>{http://ad.fi.doubleclick.net/ad/eemeli.net/start; ord=16.11.9}
>
>(That's a banner at http://eemeli.net)

It has indeed a white space in there (I checked it with my kit: Netscape4.5 &
Squid2.1PATCH1 with the white space translation on)

These web masters should be explained that, according to the RFC's, white
spaces are not legal in URI's. You can configure the white space handling by
the way. See the default config file (go to the end of the file). I'm not sure
2.1.REL already supports this but Patch1 does it for sure (I'm using it and
apparently with success because I get the banner)

>I tried that url, and it works fine with IE, but not with Netscape if you
>have proxy configured.

IE probably changes this in %20 (or something). I'm not sure if that is legal
though.

> Netscape does work fine if you remove proxy settings,
>but I sure don't want my users to do that. Is there some way I can configure
>squid to work also with Netscape ? I'm using squid 2.1.RELEASE.
>
>Thanks,
>Jani Kaarlela

> LOUNET
> Jani Kaarlela
>
>puh. (02) 477 4256 GSM 050-586 7760
>fax. (02) 477 4060 mailto:jani.kaarlela@lounet.fi

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm

     "Push to test." <click> "Release to detonate."