Re: www.hotmail.com

From: Ernst Heiri <heiri@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:19:32 +0100

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:02:02 +1100 tom minchin wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 09:38:21AM +0100, Ernst Heiri wrote:
> >
> > The cachemanager of a child proxy using our parent proxies complains
> > that his users can't connect to
> > www.hotmail.com
> > They get a timeout.
> > (They have no problem without proxy.)
> >
> > Testing with telnet from the proxy host results in a connection timeout.
> >

> I think if you aren't able to telnet to hotmail on port 80 from your
> proxy host then it's unlikely Squid will be able to connect either.
>
> You'll need to fix this (non-Squid related) problem first.

It's a Squid which has been running in a productive environment
for month now! It can connect to any webserver except to www.hotmail.com
(telnet to other webservers works well.)

We guess that hotmail has a list of IP addresses which are blocked
before a request is answered by the webserver.

It's a squid-connecting-to-hotmail related problem which is very annoying!
I remember there were already some mails on this list about problems
related to www.hotmail.com

Thus my questions again:
- are there other squids which are blocked by www.hotmail.com ?
- is there any solution for this problem ?

Any help is appreciated
Ernst