Re: Possible bug?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 23:33:33 +0100

This very much sounds like a non RFC 1738 compliant (or Netscape style)
FTP url.

There are two kinds of URLs which are correct for this resource:
1. Skip pub/ from the url (only works with RFC compliant
browsers/proxies)
ftp://usergroup@vnmrnews.nmr.varian.com/userlib/psglib/ProteinPack.tar.Z
2. Encode a leading / character in the path (works with close to
everything)
ftp://usergroup@vnmrnews.nmr.varian.com/%2f/pub/userlib/psglib/ProteinPack.tar.Z
or
ftp://usergroup@vnmrnews.nmr.varian.com/%2fpub/userlib/psglib/ProteinPack.tar.Z

The URL
ftp://usergroup@vnmrnews.nmr.varian.com/pub/userlib/psglib/ProteinPack.tar.Z
is the same as the following FTP sequence:
Open vnmrnews.nmr.varian.com
USER usergroup
PASS xxxxxx
CWD pub
CWD userlib
CWD psglib
RETR ProteinPack.tar.Z

But Netscape "optimizes" it to

Open vnmrnews.nmr.varian.com
USER usergroup
PASS xxxxxxx
RETR /pub/userlib/psglib/ProteinPack.tar.Z

Which is wrong since
A) In includes a leading / character
B) It only works reliabely with UNIX based FTP servers. Do this on a
VMS, TOPS or any other odd server and it will choke.

Squid 2 contains a few automated hacks to lessen the burden on the end
user from this URL confusion. It automatically falls back on a leading /
when retreiving files, and shows a appropriate message to the end user
when trying to retreive directories.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker