FAQ request

From: Michael T. Babcock <mbabcock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 20:03:12 +0000

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> You aren't keeping your log files on the cache disks are you? If you are
> then you should defenitely look into moving them to separate disk(s)
> both form performance and reliability reasons.
>
> Squid can cope gracefully with a cache disk that fills up, but not if
> it can't write to a log. This applies both to the normal logs, and the
> metadata log files.

I haven't checked recently, as my copy's running well, but shouldn't this be an
advisory in the FAQ? It seems common-sense'ish ... I keep my logs in /var....
and my cache is its own partition, so it can't over-fill :) ... wouldn't it be a
good idea to recommend to new Squid users to put the cache on its own drive, or
at least its own partition in case, for some reason, it overflows? And to keep
the log files in a seperate partition?

I know one admin who keeps the logs in /home/squid ... because /home is seperated
... whatever works.

--
       -=+0+=-< Michael T. Babcock >-=+0+=-