Re: transparent Squid lopping due to User-Agent: Talkback/1.0; Win32

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 18:08:43 +0100

Wagner Ikeda wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Squid, with transparent proxy option enabled.
> Environment: FreeBSD 2.2.7, IP-Filter 3.2.9, Squid 2.0.patch2.
>
> natrules and squid.conf are configured the same way as described in the
> FAQ.
>
> The setup works so fine, except sometimes squid loops due to a unknown
> request:

Reconstructed request:
POST /spiral-bin/Collector.dll HTTP/1.0

I.e. No Host: header available. Pure HTTP 1.0 request. Nothing illegal,
bogous or strange with this.

Important errors:

> 1998/11/25 08:37:39| parseHttpRequest: NAT open failed: (13) Permission denied

This is serious. Squid failed to get the intended destination address.
Check the permissions of your NAT device file. Squid needs to have read
access to this device file.

Squid don't loop on these request. A more probable cause is that the
user agent immediately retries the request which again fails, and that
this error condition leaves something behind that makes Squid eat all
your virtual memory after some time (this piece of the code is not
tested by any of the Squid developers).

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker