Slow Performance

From: Rob Merkwitza <support@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 08:42:25 +0900

We have around 200 users (on an average) connected to our network and we
wanted to use Trans Proxy with Squid proxy to force all our users to use
the proxy. We have squid 2.1RELEASE running on an Ultra5 with 256m and a
8gig cache. The Transproxy is running on an Intel box with slackware and
basically does nothing but redirect port 80 requests to squid. It seems
that when we point our RAS to the proxy the performance is fine for around
an hour then it seems to take up to 90 seconds for a page to be opended by
the browser. The broswer reports that it has found the site.

For the client the performance is good for a few minuets then very slow for
some time again. It seems that squid is queing requests almost like first
in best dressed. Does anyone out there use Transproxy with squid in a
large enviroment? Is on squid box enough? Should I be using another way
of forcing our users through squid?

                                                        Cheers,,Rob.
-
Rob Merkwitza