Re: BUG? Corrupted files with ftp:// (squid-2.1.PATCH1)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 23:55:27 +0100

Pål Baltzersen wrote:

> I have checked and compared with files downloaded directly with
> unix ftp and found that the files differ and that the problem is
> (that some or all) LF are changed to CRLF:

If you are using the default mime.conf settings then this is most likely
caused by the browser. How did you download the files using the browser?
(save link as, or file->save as?)

By default Squid knows nothing about xls files, so it assumes it is
unknown text/plain file that needs a binary transfer.

To get around browsers that don't know how to save binary text files
there is a separate download icon to the right that changes the filetype
to application/binary. There is also a icon to make a ascii download of
the file if format translation is wanted.

A permanent workaround is to make more mime.conf mappings for known file
types. Send additions to squid-bugs@ircache.net for future inclusion in
the distribution.

---
Henrik Nordstrom