Re: Help:about Proxy Authentication and Firewall!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 16:19:38 +0100

White Young wrote:

> I have install a squid,and add access controls allow only
> subnet machines can access to the web through the proxy.
> but I want to out of subnet can access my proxy server
> with username and passwd.what should i do£¿

Give proxy_auth users access.

You probably have something like

http_access allow mysubnet
http_access deny all

What you need to do is:
1. Select a authentication program. See the directory auth_modules for
two examples (NCSA style htpasswd authentication or SMB authentication
for Windows domains)
2. Create a password list, or find another method of validating the
users password.
3. Configure your squid to use the selected authentication module.
4. make a new proxy_auth acl that maches your authenticated users.
5. Control access based on this new acl.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker