Re: Transparent proxy and UnixWare 7

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:58:15 +0100

Hitesh Patel wrote:

> I am tryint to do this with a Cisco 2511 router and followed
> the instructions in the FAQ. I think that the cisco is
> correectley redirecting the packets but for some reason my
> unixware 7 box won't take the requests. Is this because i need
> to install the ip filter package?

Yes, you need the IP-Filter package or a equivalent tool on your
platform. Squid can't control the TCP implementation of your host.

If you are into doing transparent proxying then you should first
make sure you know what you are doing, and what the effects of
doing so is. Transparent proxying has several limitations and
drawbacks that may make communication impossible to/from some
users or servers. Transparent proxying is not a tool that solves
all problems without any drawbacks.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker