Squid and Communicator 4.5 misbehaviour

From: Andreas Jung <ajung@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 13:53:04 +0100 (MET)

I am using Communicator 4.5 very often to download .tar.gz files from
any FTP server. When I bypass Squid the file is written correctly
on my disk. However when I use Squid the is written uncompressed
on the disk and under Windows the file is written with linefeeds at the
end. In such a case I must convert the .tar file to ISO-Latin-1 format.
Only with this trick I am able to untar the file.

I think this behaviour comes from the ACCEPT-ENCODING: header in
Communicator 4.5. I did not see this behaviour with Netscape 2.0/3.0.

I not sure who is guilty - Netscape or Squid ?

Any comment ?

Andreas