Re: Non standard http ports?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 23:16:10 +0100

Dave A. Flanigan wrote:
> We need to access some pages that are on non-standard http
> ports on the Internet. Like port 444, or 8888, but squid
> will not allow us to do so.

Squid by default allows access to any port. Your probably have a acl
line in your squid.conf that limits the ports it may connect to (usually
called Safe_ports). Add the ports you need to this list.

The Safe_ports list exists since it is considered a security risk if
your users may use the proxy to connect to any TCP/IP server (such as
SMTP or Telnet ports on other servers).

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker