Re: maximum connections

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:00:45 +0100

Mohammed Hamed wrote:

> >* Each active browser user may use up to 4 TCP connections

> Where does this limit come from ? isn't it implementation specific ?

The default settings of Netscape Navigator (user may change to any value
between 1 and 32).

In netscape Communicator the limit is always 2.

> Why not use one socket for in/out traffic, as far as I know TCP
> supports bidirectional transfers.

Because one socket is for bidirectional communication with the browser,
and one socket is for bidirectional communication with the origin server
(or a parent proxy).

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker