Bandwidth question

From: Brian <signal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:27:44 -0600 (CST)

Right now I am transparently proxying about 300 dialup users, who are
accross 4 NAS boxes. The NAS boxes have our squid box as their
defaultroute.

All this box does is squid.

Using MRTG I can see that sometimes the "incoming" into our squid box is
say 2.5MBps yet it's outgoing into the NAS boxes is only around 1.2MBps.
Does anyone know why this would be? The machine has a single NIC.

I would think that the incoming into squid should be equal or less than
its outgoing into the NAS boxes (user population). Why wouldn't this be
the case?

Brian

Brian Feeny (BF304) | ShreveNet Inc. - Premium Internet Service Provider
Network Administrator | Shreveport, Louisiana - http://www.shreve.net/
signal@shreve.net | Web Hosting, Virtual Domains, Storefronts,
(318)222-2NET x 109 | Database/Web Integration, 56k, ISDN, T1