Re: maximum connections

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 23:33:40 +0100

John A. Lauro wrote:

> I don't understand, Navigator is part of communicator (as are other
> components), how can the setting be between 1 and 32 and also always
> be 2???

My fault. By Navigator I refer to Netscape Navigator 3.X, and
Comminucator is Netscape Navigator/Communicator 4.X.

> Also, it's been my experience that Communicator 4.x is 4 (or
> might be more) open connections and I wish I could lower it! If you
> know how, please let me know.

Looks like I am misinformed on this issue. Lets hope future versions pay
attention to the HTTP 1.1 specification and uses at most 2 persistent
connections to any server/proxy..

Doing a grep on a netscape 4.x binary reveals
pref("network.max_connections", 4);
which suggests that netscape 4.x by default uses 4 connections.

Looking in my preferences.js file I found this line:
user_pref("network.max_connections", 2);
which probably is resulting from that I have lowered the setting
manually in Navigator 3.x before starting 4.x the first time..

The good news is that the user has no intiutive way of setting this
higher than 4 connections in 4.x. The bad news is that if a user has
been using Navigator 3.x and manually changed the number of connections
to a higher value, then 4.x will most likely import this when upgrading
and the user has no easy way of resetting it to 4 (or preferably 2).

This value can easily be changed if your are using the professional
version with accompanying administrative tools for site wide
configuration, if you know what to change (which you do now).

If you are not using the professional version then each user has to get
his preferences.js file updated/fixed.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker