Re: installation help: No such file or directory

From: Dean McDonald <dean@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 11:28:25 +1100

>I've compiled squid successfully, but am having problems starting
>the server after configuration:
>

>[squid-2.1.PATCH1]# /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -z
>FATAL: none: (2) No such file or directory
>Squid Cache (Version 2.1.PATCH1): Terminated abnormally.
>CPU Usage: 0.050 seconds
>Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
>Page faults with physical i/o: 231
>
>I'm wondering what /usr/local/squid ownership and permissions
>should be, as I'm getting absolutely nothing in the log files.
>
>In fact, there are no log files.
>
>Nothing in the FAQ, and can't seem to find a searchable version
>of the mailing list.
>
>Can someone give me some guidance?
>
>--
>John White
>Triceratops Admin
>johnjohn@triceratops.com

What did you set cache_effective_user to?. if you have set that to
nobody you need to chown your cache directories to the same. The
"No such file or directory" error, im not sure what would cause that,
usually that happens if you specify an alternative logging directory
and don't physically create it..

I'd say make sure that all your directories exist (logs/cache)
and check the permissions on /usr/local/squid/* , Its safe to have
/usr/local/squid/bin,etc owned by root, but you should have the "cache" and
"logs" directories owned by cache_effective_user.

You could also try "touching" all the relevent logs files to make sure
they exist, although im sure that's not necessary.

anyone feel free to contradict should I be incorrect.

Dean.

----
Dean McDonald
System Administrator (and recent squid enthusiast)
Connect.com.au Pty Ltd