Probem when requesting site/file directly.... not from parent....

From: milis-archive <milis-archive@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 17:33:33 +0000

Hello,

Since yesterday, almost all request to our proxy failed to contacting the
requested site/file and from what I've seen, this errors will appear if our
proxy server requesting some site/file DIRECTLY to the site not through
parent proxy. And when our proxy requesting from the other parent proxy
(ie. cache.nlanr.net) the requested site/file will go to the users browser
with no problem.

We are running our proxy server on :
- Processor AMD K6-200.
- 64 MB EDO Rams With 16 MB for Proxy Memory.
- 2 GB IDE Hard Disk With 300 MB for Proxy Cache.
- FreeBSD 2.2.7 RELEASE as Operating System.
- SQUID 2.1 RELEASE as Proxy Server Software.
- 2 Ethernet Cards for Serving Incoming & Outgoing Connections.
- 6 Parent Proxy Servers From Our Main ISP, 2 Parent Proxy From NLANR and 3
from public proxy.

Currently we have +400 users and as I seen, our proxy server was handling
request approx. 50 - 100 connections per minutes. And from what I've seen
on how our server's hard disk worked, I guess our proxy server wasn't quite
busy handling incoming & outgoing connections.

The last questions.
Is there any other way 'fast & clean' to delete proxy cache files or should
I remove those files manualy ?

Any solutions and explanations would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

|assa|