Re: IDENT and Windows95/98/NT

From: Pål Baltzersen <pal.baltzersen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 19:09:54 +0100

There are several shareware implementations out there that fake ident.
I haven't found any satisfying though. Moust or all of them seem to run
from startup instead of as a service and they all seem to read the username
from an .ini file.

I don't think i is possible to implement a _real_ ident daemon on any M$-Win
variants, simply because M$-Win* (exept Citrix) are single user systems so the info about
who owns a given connection is not awailable - at least not to any API we know.

Any way, we are implementing our own _free_ identd for M$-Win* that
(at least on NT) will run as a _service_ and dynamicly checks with the registry to
see who is currently loged in. It is currently only a alfa version.
Feel free to give it a try. I would be hapy to receive patches/contributions
if someone wants to hack the code. The URLs are:

http://ftp.ost.eltele.no/pub/networking/ident/identd.README
http://ftp.ost.eltele.no/pub/networking/ident/identd-0.0.1.zip
ftp://ftp.ost.eltele.no/pub/networking/ident/identd.README
ftp://ftp.ost.eltele.no/pub/networking/ident/identd-0.0.1.zip

It is stable on NT (at least NT40sp3), but you'll have a glimpse of
Dr.Watson when you shutdorn or restart NT because some problem
with blocking/nonblocking I/O and the M$ service API.

Pål

Addr: Pål Baltzersen, ElTele Øst AS, Sandakervn. 114B, N-0483 Oslo.
Phone: +47 23 18 10 00 Direct: +47 23 18 11 74
fax: +47 23 18 10 01 Mobile: +47 93 08 11 74
mail: pb@ost.eltele.no pal.baltzersen@ost.eltele.no

>>> <listman@audiosoft.co.uk> 08/12-98 15:49:00 >>>

Hi all,

Not a squid question as such, but related.

Does anyone know if there is an IDENT daemon which will return the name of the
logged in user on a Windows machine? We have a network where I want to limit
access to some web sites, but allow certain users access to all sites. I could
do this on a machine by machine basis, but that means that if that person uses
a different machine, they will not have access to all sites.

I'm assuming of course that I can then add acl rules based upon what that
IDENT returns!

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

--
Andrew Hawkins            | Audiosoft Ltd,
AudioPC Product Manager   | 3 Longwood Court, Love Lane, Cirencester