linux kernel without file descriptors problem

From: Utku Er <erutku@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 09:30:04 +0200

    Hi all,

    I'm using squid 2.1 on red hat 5.2 kernel 2.0.36 and I read all the
discussions here about the file decriptor problems... I cat NNNN >
/proc/sys/kernel/file-max and inode-max but it didn't work...

   So I think I need to install the filedescriptor patch.. I want to know two
things:

1 - is there a linux kernel version that squid runs on without this file
desriptor problem ? so I can compile it and have no problem.
2 - If not how can I find that patch and how can I install that patch. (of
course i'll RTFM but I need at least a short description)

Thank you,

Utku.