Re: Problem with FTP in 2.1P1 *AND* P2

From: J. Kean Johnston <jkj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 14:27:42 -0800

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 10:45:52PM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> J. Kean Johnston wrote:
> > a new command. I re-ran the squid client program several times so you
> > can see very clearly the erratic behaviour I am experiencing. I am
>
> Ok. It succeds sometime so it is not something with the FTP servers
> directory listing.
>
> What struck me is if the FTP server has some silly "to many users" mode
> that accepts a connection but refuses any transfers?
That is not a problem. This is a dual PII-400 with 384 MB of RAM and
only 3 users on it (at the time I did the tests there were only two -
myself an one person in vi, with no ftp users at ALL. The ftp daemon is
wu-2.4.2-academ-beta18).

> The next thing you could do is to turn on Squid debugging while doing
> the requests. Debugging is turned on/off by running squid -k debug, and
> the debug output appears in logs/cache.log
>
> The interesting part is between ftpStart and ftpDataTransferDone or
> ftpFail.
Ok ... thats where I'll go next. I really do NOT suspect the FTP daemon.
What makes me so doubly sure is disabling Squid lets me see the directories
all the time from within my browser. With Squid enabled it is a hit-and-miss
thing as to whether or not I will get the valid listing.

--
J. Kean Johnston  | "If equal affection cannot be,
Engineer, SPG     |  let the more loving one be me" - W.H. Auden