Re: kernel out of memory with squid

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:52:16 +0000

> BUT NOW I have "Couldn't get a free page....." messages from the kernel...
> and I can do nothing in seconds sometimes. my shell gets locked, kernel gets
> out of memory and give "Cannot allocate memory" messages...

If this is a recent Linux kernel, it is a potentially survivable
error resulting from a sudden burst of requests for kernel memory.

Unfortunately, a lot of the device drivers, etc. that get this
condition don't expect it, and it is followed by an Oops for a
null pointer dereference.

It likely indicates that you are trying to run on too small a machine,
or with too many pages locked into memory.

You can sometimes get round it by updating the contents of
/proc/sys/freepages (see kernel sources for details), so as to force
the kernel to try to keep more pages free in the steady state.

I assume you are running with the cache on a Linux native partition,
as, for 2.0.30 kernels, at least, the (V)FAT filesystem support is
prone to running out of memory in this way.

--
David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
BTS             Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>