Re: Transparent Proxying..

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 22:15:17 +0100

Ben Kohn (root <root@ns2.triton.net>) wrote:

> We're still getting ungodly amounts of connection reset by peer
> errors, you said that if even one part is setup incorrectly, it
> would fail, do you see anything in the following that throws up
> a red flag?

Nothing obvious here, but the connection reset errors are generated at
the network layer and is not very much dependent on how Squid is set up.

It is usually quite easy to see who is generating the TCP reset and why
by using a network monitor. You need to pay attention to the MAC
addresses when decoding how traffic has travelled.

I do not have the time needed to decode any network traces for you. If
you don't know how to read them then consult your closest TCP/IP person.

Doing transparent proxying is woodo magic, and you really need to know
how it works if you are to use it. There are other ways to acheive the
same goal which does not involve that much magic (see previous
discussion on squid-users).

And please use your full name as sender. 'root <root@ns2.triton.net>' is
not a very polite one as it tells very little of who you are.

---
Henrik Nordstrom