Re: Transparent Proxy and HEAT.NET

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:47:42 +0000

> course, I'm sure someone can correct me -- so please do. :) Ok, basically,
> the problem with heat.net through Squid is that it wants to know what IP the
> requests came from because it uses that IP to talk back to the originator via
> a Java applet. Now I agree that just using the IP for security would be dumb,

This would fail for most corporate users as most firewalls would
block the connection. In any case, there is something broken with
the Java security policy if it permits an arbitrary inbound
connections, and if it only accepts one from the server, it would be
easier for the Java to set up the connection - I think this is how
the security model expects it to be done.

--
David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
BTS             Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>