Re: mrtg and squid

From: Alan J. Flavell <flavell@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:39:33 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, carlos wrote:

> I Got Strange problem when invoking squid 2.1 SNMP
> to MRTG 2.5.4c (with snmp parameter supported).

> Target[squid]:
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.3495.1.3.1.5&1.3.6.1.4.1.3495.1.3.1.5:public@IPnumber:3401::4
..
> Received SNMP response with error code
> error status: noSuchName
> index 3 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0)
> ..

You are trying to query the sysUpTime from port 3401, and squid's SNMP
doesn't support that OID.

As long as the platform where squid runs also has a normal SNMP
port (161) active, you need the following configuration entry:

routerUptime[squid]: public@IPnumber

to tell MRTG to fetch the uptime and the system name from the normal
SNMP port, instead of fetching it from port 3401 (squid). Check the
MRTG docuemntation for details of this config entry.

Of course, this will tell you the platform's uptime (i.e since last
reboot) rather than the uptime of squid itself, but it seems to be the
best one can do. If the platform isn't running the normal SNMP port,
I suppose you could use "Options noinfo", although I haven't actually
tried that myself.

good luck