Accelerator OR redirector?

From: Al Blake <AlB@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 10:57:08 +1100

We have been running squid 1.1.9 for over a year as a proxy caching server.
It has worked perfectly in this role and makes the best use of the limited
bandwidth we have available in the South Pacific. squid is currently running
on port 8000 for its http connections between it and the internal clients.
We now need to publish some internal pages that reside on different hosts to
the outside world. These hosts do not figure in the external dns and cannot
be accessed directly from outside.

I would like to use the squid box to do this but despite reading the FAQ and
searching the net I am still confused as to the simplest way to set this up.
In summary we currently have:

proxy.org.nc - squid proxy cache (port 8000)

mail.org.nc - internal mail host with Web access (port 80)
other.org.nc - internal host with web pages required to be published
externally.(port 80)

Would I be best to use:
        a) Squid as an accelarator OR
        b) a redirector

to provide access to the internal hosts. If I use squid as an accelerator,
how to I ensure that squid accepts port 80 connects from the outside world
but only connects them to specified permitted URL's on the internal hosts?
If I use a redirector how do I ensure that it is available on port 80
(externally).

I am totally confused despite thinking that I understood squid!

Al Blake, Information Technology Manager
Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
New Caledonia.
Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18
Email: alb@spc.org.nc
Web: http://www.spc.org.nc/
Any attached files are in PKZip format.
Please advise if you have difficulties unzipping them.