ftp error

From: Levente Farkas <lfarkas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:10:54 +0100

hi,
We've got a squid-2.1p2 cache we use it to proxy ftp too. It's working
except one (known) case. When I try to connect to an ftp server with
user:password throw the proxy I've got back "Service Unavailable"
"No route to host" (even if I try to reload). Which is not true.
from the same (linux) server where the squid running I can connect
to the sever with normal ftp. I tried netscape and lynx too. When
use lynx first use (the default setting) through the proxy, than
lynx -cfg=<config file without proxy> ... and in this case it
worked! So the problem have to be somewhere around squid.
Since other ftp server is woking both with and without user/password
this can be the problem of the ftp server too. I don't have direct
access to the ftp server, but if I know the problem I can force to
fix it.
So my question what's the difference when squid ask a list from
and ftp server relaitve to when the browser ?
Is squid use some special port (since this ftp server is a firewall
there so may be there are some restricion of ports) ?
thank you for your help in advenace.

ps. please reply to my private email too.

 -- Levente

 E-Mail: Levente Farkas <!spam-lfarkas@ohsh.u-szeged.hu>
 Homepage: http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~lfarkas/
 PGP public key & Geek Code: !spam-lfarkas@anna.inf.u-szeged.hu