Re: Web pages loading

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:08:10 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Mohammed Hamed wrote:

> I wonder why would it sometimes take the whole webpage to load or a large percentage of it before the browser displays it and sometimes the browser just displays whatever it has managed to load while keeping loading the rest of the page at the same time ?
> what is the reason of the different behaviour ?
> Is it just a browser behaviour or is there some directive to specify this ?

One of the reasons is HTML layout. The browser cannot render HTML until all
sizes on the viewable area are known. If, for example, a page has an image
without explicit size specifications, the browser has to wait for that image
to load to know the size and render appropriately.

Also, buffering on the server side (including CGIs) may affect the
"presentation" behavior.

Alex.