Re: Raw vs. cooked file systems for cache?

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:04:13 +0200

Hi

> I've been doing some reading on caching proxies, and most people state that
> you'll get better performance if you don't rely on the OS for your file
> system management and instead use raw filesystem space for storing the
> cache. Has anyone played with this for squid that is not reselling it (i.e.
> don't consider their code to be proprietary or trade secret)?

It has been discussed before on squid-dev. Stewart Foster (who did the
majority of the async-io support in Squid) was going to be doing this. He
eventually left connect.com.au, and someone there was going to develop a FS
for Squid in his place. I believe that this was Kevin Littlejohn
<darius@connect.com.au>.

estern@packetstorm.on.ca had an alpha version that essentially got rid of
the FS: I am not sure of progress there.

Oskar

---
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -
a single minute of being alive?"				-- Think Twice