Re: Raw vs. cooked file systems for cache?

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:48:17 +0100 (CET)

In article <10E4DDEBFB53D211B50B0008C7A4EFBD37CA2A@e90corp2.dx.deere.com> you write:

>I've been doing some reading on caching proxies, and most people state that
>you'll get better performance if you don't rely on the OS for your file
>system management and instead use raw filesystem space for storing the
>cache. Has anyone played with this for squid that is not reselling it (i.e.
>don't consider their code to be proprietary or trade secret)?

Not exactly a raw filesystem but on the Squid developers list some people
from Australia have mentioned that they are working on SquidFS which stores
many objects in a small number of big file (something like the cyclic news
file systems INN and Diablo use). This avoids the open() call for each
object.

I have no idea about the current status of it.

Arjan