Re: Squid2.1 Patch2 memory problem on Linux redhat 5.2

From: Matthew Kirkwood <weejock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 13:20:43 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Raul S. Bucad wrote:

> I've just installed Squid2.1 PATCH2 on a Redhat Linux 5.2 and everything
> was installed ok. It is running now for about 8 hours and my problem is
> the memory available or free has dropped from 94 mb to 2.2 mb as of this
> moment and I think is still dropping. This is according to the "top"
> program.

Linux dynamically allocates cache buffers for best performance. There's
no point in wasting memory, so Linux will use any "spare" to hold various
things which would be slow to retrieve (ie. from disk).

If an application needed that memory, then the kernel would "throw away"
some of its cache so that the memory would be available.

The reason that the system is in swap is that similar things apply to swap
- the system has swapped out some unused bits of processes (a few K of
init, inetd, etc) to make room for more cache/other processes.

It works very nicely, and the 2.0.36 kernel seems to have it quite nicely
balanced...

> Which is the best platform - SCO or Linux?

A dangerous questio, and one I won't even offer an opinion on. Either one
seems to be doing a reasonable job for you, so go with the one you're most
happy with.

Matthew.