POST with Connection: keep-alive

From: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 20:43:58 +0000

I found an interesting problem with squid when submitting a form on a server
running NCSA httpd 1.4.2.

The client (netscape 4.5) submitted a POST HTTP/1.0 request with the header:

Referer: http://www.camcnty.gov.uk/sub/cambserv/pipemail.htm
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive

and when squid forwarded it on, the request became:

POST /cgi-bin/con1_form HTTP/1.0
Referer: http://www.camcnty.gov.uk/sub/cambserv/pipemail.htm
Cache-Control: max-age=604800
Connection: keep-alive

The final line is the interesting one. For a POST request, what use would a
keep-alive have? Why should squid send this?

The thing is that even after 86 characters (the Content-Length) have been
sent, the httpd doesn't return a reply. If I remove the "Connection:
keep-alive", things work as expected.

So whose fault is it? Squid or the NCSA httpd? Probably the latter. But is
POST a useful thing to use with keep-alive anyway? RFC 2068 hardly mentions
keep-alive at all, except in 19.7.1 in the context of backwards
compatibility.

I've got the debug output available if anyone wants other info. The NCSA
server isn't mine, so I can't look at it.

TTFN,

Jifl

--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"Women marry hoping their husbands will change, men||Home e-mail: jifl @