Re: Upgrade Version 1.1.21 to 2.1.2-4

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 07:46:29 +0100

A.Y. Sjarifuddin wrote:

> I'd like to upgrade Squid version 1.1.21 to 2.1.2-4 on RH5.2 Alpha.
> Where could I get the latest version of 2.1.2-4 for Alpha.

Don't know where to find an Alpha binary, but it is really easy to
install from source.

Easiest method for RedHat is to use the RPM system, if you can find a
SRPM for the module you like to build.

Get the source SRPM.

# Build RPM from SRPM
rpm -i squid-2.1.2-4.srpm
cd /usr/src/redhad/SPECS
rpm -ba squid-2.1.2-4.spec
(the spec file can be named something else.. there is not always version
numbers in the spec file name..)

# Install the freshly built RPM
cd ../RPM/aplha/
rpm -i squid-2.1.2-4.rpm

For non-redhat system (or if you do not like to install RPMs) then

Get the source squid-2.1.PATCH2.tar.gz. file from NLANR or one of the
mirrors. Also get the patch file available from NLANR.

tar zxvf squid-2.1.PATHC2.tar.gz
cd squid-2.1.PATCH2
patch -p1 <../squid-2.1.PATCH2-clientHandleIMSReply-leak.patch
(enter src/client_side.c when asked for the path to client_side.c)
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/squid (or whereever you want Squid
installed)
make install

Also note that upgrading from Squid 1.X requires you to start from a
clean cache. Squid 2.X uses a new layout of the cache store, and there
is no automated procedure for moving the old cache contents to the new
format. The new format is more flexible so this probably won't be
required in future upgrades.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker