Re: Trying to use feature LOG_FGDN ON which performs a nslookup i n access.log

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:10:06 +0100

Philippe PAULEAU wrote:

> How can i do WINS lookup with SQUID logs ?

Squid uses the os function gethostbyaddr to look up IP addresses, so if
your resolver supports WINS lookups then Squid can use them, but if you
need a separate program (like Samba) to do WINS lookups then squid can't
use this without code modifications.

A good place for making any code modifications is in dnsserver.c.

> My chief doesn't like Linux and i'm not allowed to change WIN NT DNS.
> I'm trying to prove her that SQUID performs perfectly and that we do
> not need to purchase MS Proxy Server.

A third option is to get a resolver library that allows selection of DNS
server based on domain name. This is provided that you at least can get
them to enable WINS lookups in the NT DNS if it isn't already. Then link
Squid with this flexible resolver library. I have seen such resolver
libraries, but I do not know where to find one.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker