Re: Problem with IE4 and ftp through squid...

From: Paul Borgermans <pborgerm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:23:59 +0100

We had the same problem here a few months ago.....
it is of course a MSIE problem. After installing a specific patch from
MS$ the problem was gone.

Caveat: the patch was not available for download, so we had to call ms support
and give them the references from their own knowledge base Article ID: Q187770

looked it up again.......

Guess what : it is still (a few months old now) not "regression tested" ...and
should be applied to ie 4 + sp1. So all current IE installations cannot use a
javascript *.pac file
for FTP unless the call MS ? To my experience, a reaction of MS minded IT
Managers
is to say "now you see, javascript is bull-shit, let's implement the MS
vbscript
central configuration files" ...... and even better..... "but I still think you
cannot rely
on squid, we should also install a ms proxy server". So far the latter has not
happened
here. :-)

To my experience, a patch takes only hours with squid to appear, with MS quite a
lot
longer

Cheers

Paul