Re: error when squid stopping

From: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 19:53:46 +0000

Utku Er wrote:
> when I shutdown my squid there is an error that I do not understand.
> all cache.log states is:
>
> CPU Usage: 1.650 seconds
> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 0
> 1999/02/01 21:08:17| Squid Cache (Version 2.2.PRE2): Exiting normally.
>
> what's that Page faults ?? does anybody have an idea?

Yes :-). It is not a "fault" as in an error, but a "page fault" is a method
of measuring swap (and sometimes I/O, depending on OS) activity. This is a
normal function of running, although in practice a high number may indicate
that your machine is "thrashing". This is why this output is there - as a
diagnostic aid.

As it happens, I suspect your OS does not support the system calls to
determine the Maximum Resident Size and number of Page Faults, which is why
they come out as zero. Ordinarily they should come out as large numbers.

Jifl

--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"Women marry hoping their husbands will change, men||Home e-mail: jifl @